Sunday, December 12, 2010

Random Character Color

I found the following scribbled on the back of a fighter's character sheet--a sheet of notebook paper to be precise. I have no memory of actually running this character, but I apparently had some idea that he came from the grim Scandinavian skald school of combat.

Warrior’s Prayer

Though I may be about to die,
I shall not fear.
For combat is the Great Purifier
Where the worth of all creatures is decided
By the skill of their arms
And the strength of their minds.
War is the Great Predator
That culls the weak and the sick from our ranks
So that only the strong shall remain.
To live is to show one’s worth;
To dies is to show one’s faults;
To retreat is to suffer the foulest of failures
And to burn in the pits of Orona’s darkest Hells.

10 comments:

Clovis Cithog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brink. said...

huh. i was expecting a table to determine what color my character is. like this one (2d6):

2 spots, roll twice
3 purple
4 orange
5 green
6 yellow
7 red
8 blue
9 white
10 brown
11 black
12 stripes, roll twice

Clovis Cithog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clovis Cithog said...

"Better a live dog,
Then a dead lion."

attributed to King Solomon
At least a living dog can return to fight another day.

Wars are usually decided by numbers and technology, NOT individual bravery. A warrior's sacred duty is to survive, so that he may fight again.

apologies, no spell check today ; - (

David Larkins said...

Gods of war I call you, my sword
Is by my side.
I seek a life of honor, free from
All false pride.
I will crack the whip with a bold
Mighty hail.
Cover me with death if I should
Ever fail.
Glory, majesty, unity
Hail, hail, hail.

Jason Brezinski said...

That's neat and useful. Definitely going to pass it along to players so they can use it as inspiration.

Vanadorn said...

Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.
Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

David Key said...

That is really cool Mike, you wrote that yourself?

You should write a fantasy novel at some point, would love to see what you come up with.

Roger G-S said...

Milius by way of Manowar?

Petras Furtado said...

I guess it was Heinlein who said "the duty of a soldier is not to die for his country, but to make the poor bastard on the other side die for his."